Friday, May 31, 2013
i'm a worrier. i think it's in my blood. sometimes i wake up in the middle of the night and can't sleep because the littlest things are exaggerated in my mind. exercise helps it. and being in maine helps too. my worries about the future and soul searching for what the next step is after being a stay-at-home mom seem to subside when we are surrounded by nature's beauty.
Posted by molly lubs tompkins at 5/31/2013
Thursday, May 23, 2013
as cable television exited from our lives two years ago, i have given birth to a new infatuation. old books. more specifically the cheap ones. like $5 and under.
this is similar to my recent extinguishing of sweet treats in our house during lent. from the ice cream, cookie and cupcake repression a new favorite has arisen. dates. it's what i reach for in the mid-afternoon stress and slump.
have you gotten rid of any bad habits that have given rise to a completely new desire?
images of the abstract expressionism book i picked up at the newport library friends bookstore.
Posted by molly lubs tompkins at 5/23/2013
Wednesday, May 22, 2013
Monday, May 20, 2013
"kites rise highest against the wind - not with it."
sometimes you feel you are going against the grain. trying to accomplish goals that fall way out of your comfort zone. that's the way it has felt with some of our endeavors this spring. i can't really reveal the details now, but there are things brewing. percolating. changing.
wind is a powerful force. it's not always on your side when surfing, kite boarding, sailing, or simply flying a kite. however, when you make it through to the other side to your destination or goal. a bit ramshackled, flustered, with sea legs and all. feeling like you have been chewed up and spit out. you are a stronger person because of it. or at least that's my hope.
Posted by molly lubs tompkins at 5/20/2013
Wednesday, May 15, 2013
here are some that come to mind:
1. dana - growing up in small town, chagrin falls, ohio she was my cool and creative friend that wore her sweatshirts inside out, introduced me to the violent femmes and made me see that life was not all about being homogeneous and fitting in with the majority.
2. p.j. - for laughing with me on our church work camp trips in high school. for helping me to see the beauty in the some of the most beaten down and distressed areas in the united states.
3. ryan - you know the time in college where you feel like you have the weight of the world on your shoulders (or maybe that was just me)? well, ryan was my friend that i knew i could always count on to go running with. we would vent about our stresses and we talked about big ideas and politics.
4. maya - she was the first nurse i came in contact with when i was admitted to the hospital for pre-term contractions at 27 weeks when i was pregnant with k and r. she is the kindness, most reassuring person i have ever met. she made me laugh despite the fact that i was freaking out on the inside.
5. kayo- she is a true leader. originally from japan, she has lived in many countries, including france, ivory coast, and ethiopia. i have never heard her once complain and she has helped me change my life for the better here in newport. i started yoga since meeting her. i have started meditating again because of her. i am more mindful and grateful because of her influence.
so to these individuals i say thank you.
"The planet does not need more 'successful people'. The planet desperately needs more peacemakers, healers, restorers, storytellers and lovers of all kinds. It needs people to live well in their places. It needs people with moral courage willing to join the struggle to make the world habitable and humane and these qualities have little to do with success as our culture is the set. "
~The Dalai Lama
do you have friends that have gracefully touched your life and influenced you in some way? i would love to hear about it.
first photo of my dear friend, kayo martin.
second photo - graffiti on the cliff walk.
Posted by molly lubs tompkins at 5/15/2013
Monday, May 13, 2013
1. painting by k. " fireworks and flowing lava."
2. i purchased this painting at a consignment store for a steal. the warm colors and the comforting, compassionate, and caring feeling i got from the woman in the painting made it impossible to walk away from.
3. the handmade vase in the front of the picture was from the dump store in maine. the imperfections are what make it my favorite one in my collection of white vessels.
Posted by molly lubs tompkins at 5/13/2013
Thursday, May 2, 2013
2. bookshelves with lovely placement of objects above and below. image from the blog, montmarte via joslyn taylor's pin.
3. such intricate and mind blowing work from matthew picton's paper sculpture gallery.
4. i need to create an inspiration/mood wall like le dans la has created. found on remodelista.
5. the most soulful and thoughtful person, karina bania from curate the day led me to the hernaez sticotti house and i am have fallen hard for the interior and exterior of this architect and graphic designer's abode. photo by ana armendariz.
Posted by molly lubs tompkins at 5/02/2013