Monday, January 7, 2008

these are a few of my favorite things/magazines

magazines. i just want to saran wrap the feeling i have when a new one comes in the mail and put it in a carry-out container so i can preserve that fresh, ecstatic, anything is possible feeling the entire day. the glossy pages, the new ideas about design, what website to go to find that floor lamp i have to have, new recipes, and writing that sparks synapses in my brain to fire always keeps me coming back for more. i am not patient when a new magazine comes in the mail; i usually rip open the plastic protective covering and dive right into the visual delights, much like a bride at the filene’s basement bridal event stampedes towards the deeply discounted dresses when the doors are flung open. i have been known to buy magazines before i leave on vacation to hopefully save for the car ride or to read on the beach in the height of my relaxation. but, that preservation has never happened. i usually get it home from the store, place it on the table with the things that have to be packed and walk around the table, telling myself it will be worth the wait. my self-discipline has yet to kick in during this moment of weakness. my family makes fun of me because it usually takes me a couple of minutes to do the first flip through. I then go back 5 or 6 more times at a much slower pace to read the articles and stare at the rooms to see how I can make that work in my place. i have a technique where I use 2 fingers (thumb and index) to do the first flip through. my fastest record is 1 minute and 25 seconds. if there’s a long line in the grocery store, watch out…i can go through a couple gossip magazines before my husband can unload the cart.

here are some of my favorite magazines I subscribe to for inspiration:

Domino
Elle Decor
Blueprint
Martha Stewart Living
Metropolitan Home
Cottage Living
National Geographic





No comments:

Post a Comment