Wednesday, January 9, 2008

these are a few of my favorite things/collections

collections. collections are the reason i go to brimfield antique show every year. collections are the reason i love scouring antique stores in essex, mass. they lead me into the stock exchange resale shop in manchester-by-the-sea, ma. here are some of the things i like to collect:

+ tortoise shell bracelets. my mom started me on this one. she bought me a bracelet for christmas one year and i have accumulated them ever since. i don't think any of them are real, but they look great with white and black, about the only colors in my closet.

+ old cameras. we have a shelf in our living room with them on it. i found an antique shop in skaneateles, ny when we lived in syracuse that had the mother load. each time we went i would try to get one. i wrapped them up for josh as gifts during many holidays. i think he even got one for saint patty's day one year.

+ old surveyor rods, seen on the wall in the picture up above. i like the fact that they have wear on them, which means they were used to survey the landscape years ago. the graphic numbers give them a modern edge.

+ glass goblets. my grandfather started me on this collection when i was in college. my mom has since kept the tradition going and supplied me with some great ones. i use them for cocktails when entertaining or water glasses at the table.

+ black and white prints from some of our trips. i like to remember a trip by buying little prints and then framing them.

+ mercury glass candlesticks. the old ones are great, but a little expensive. i found some at
ikea for a steal.

+ white ironstone. white is the great backdrop for any colorful meal you prepare so why not?

+ woven straw baskets. i love the really big ones. i leave them out all year round. when summer comes, i throw my towel and lotion in them and head to the beach. i have also used them to carry all my veggie purchases at farmer's markets.

+ anything galvinized. i like how it looks with antiques. we have large storage containers in our kitchen and also in our living room.

No comments:

Post a Comment